Capalbio, in the province of Grosseto, is the southernmost town in Tuscany. Set in an enviable environmental ecosystem, with historic roots from Roman times as witnessed by the discovery of the colony of Cosa, thanks to the importance assumed in the Renaissance, Capalbio is nicknamed the Little Athens. Capalbio has repeatedly been awarded 5 sails and first place in the "Blue Guide" of Legambiente-Italian Touring Club for safeguarding and wisely managing its beaches, the landscape and the surrounding environment. The name Capalbio comes from Caput Album or Campus Albus, probably referring to the local white alabaster.
Although the remains of the colony of Cosa demonstrate the presence of much earlier civilian settlements in the area, the Capalbio Castle is first mentioned in the bull of Charlemagne and Pope Leo III in AD 805, which assigned the village to the Abbey of Saints Anastasius and Vincent at the Three Fountains in Rome. This privilege was later confirmed by Pope Alexander III in 1161. A few years later the lands of Capalbio passed to the powerful Maremma family, the Aldobrandeschi, who enclosed the village with a double row of walls, still visible today.
As you arrive in Capalbio you enter through the beautiful Porta Senese (Sienese Gate), surmounted by a stele from 1418 recalling the consolidation of the walls during the domination of the Republic of Siena, and a Medici coat of arms with an inscription from 1601. The narrow streets of the village ascend to the Rocca Aldobrandesca (Aldobrandeschi Fortress) protected by a tall crenelated tower. In the early 1900s Palazzo Collacchioni was built on the remains of the fortress. Along with period furniture, it houses the Conrad Graf Fortepiano, frequently played by the composer Giacomo Puccini, who often stayed here to hunt far from the clamour of Versilia. In the main square is the Arcipretura di San Nicola (Deanship of St. Nicholas) dating from the 12th-13th centuries, which features Romanesque capitals and votive frescoes of the Umbrian school of the 15th century. Walk on Via Vittorio Emanuele II along the crenelated walls, which have been made accessible and offer a magnificent panorama.
Capalbio is an ideal place for art and culture lovers. Capalbio Libri (Capalbio Books), a festival celebrating the pleasure of reading, held its tenth edition in 2016. Capalbio Cinema International Short Film Festival was founded by Michelangelo Antonioni in 1994. Painting and sculpture exhibitions are shown at the Castello del Borgo (village castle), or at the Frantoio (olive press) in Piazza della Provvidenza.
Ufficio Turistico di Capalbio
Via Collacchioni, 2 - 58011 Capalbio (GR)
Phone +39 0564 896611